Saturday, April 9, 2011

Pin-wheel Card.

Since I posted this version of a pin-wheel card on my Face Book page, I've had a couple of people ask me how I did it! My immediate response: it was not easy and required several tries with a lot of patience!


I started with the basic pieces of a pin-wheel: two squares of paper 2 5/8" x 2 5/8" for the background (Bazzill Basics shimmering brown) and four squares 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" of shimmering white (Bazzill Basics Diamond) and shimmering ivory (Bazzill Basics Glass Slipper) for the pinwheel. I used a corner punch (Martha Stewart/E.K. Success - eyelet lace) for the pattern. Because of the size differences between the punch and the squares I turned the punch upside down so I could see where I was punching and used a needle nosed tweezers to hold the squares in place while I punched them. I punched each square twice along one side. To get each square right took several tries and many more 1 1/4" squares than I had originally cut out! When I went to layout the card I realized that due to the punched out pattern some of the design was overlapping the bottom of the previous piece of paper and was not visible. So I went back and trimmed each square by trial and error so that when they were laid over each other the background paper would show through.

To finish the card I used an old piece of text patterned paper (Hot Off the Press) that I mounted on more of the shimmering brown paper and centered it on a 5" x 5" square card I made from more shimmering white paper. After I attached the finished pin-wheel, I added a gold banner (Martha Stewart/E.K. Success) across the front with a gold text sticker (Stampendous) that I colored black with a marker (Sharpie). The final touch was the addition of the sugared pansy stickers (Martha Stewart/E.K. Success) and some leaves that I cut out from another sticker (Hydrangea from Martha Stewart/E.K. Success).


Because of the 1 1/4" size restriction some corner punches will not work while other will. The only way to find out which ones work is with lots of patience by trial and error. The final results are well worth the pain!

2 comments:

  1. Not a chance in the world that I will ever try this. No patience here. Glad you made it and posted because it is special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing this John. I am going to try this for my granddaughter's birthday card.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete