Sunday, April 8, 2018

Masculine Card - Any Occasion


I started making cards because I couldn't find satisfactory all purpose masculine cards.  It was easy to find flowery images or childish drawings but no real "hard" line masculine themes.  Masculine themed cards, like any others, have rules that need to be observed and followed.  The most obvious two are: color and texture.

Dark color schemes and rough finishes are usually associated with a more masculine look.  To me the perfect combination is "wood" and I use a lot of wood patterned papers for background of masculine cards.  The perfect example is the card below that uses not only K&Company wood patterned paper for the background but also for the highlights.  

I started by stamping some animal images (North Woods) on some very light wood patterned paper in sepia ink, leaving space between them and then colored the images with pencils.  I mounted the stamped images on a strip of dark brown paper; which I trimmed just slightly larger then the stamped strip.  Next I covered a size A2 tan colored cad with a wood patterned paper that I also edged with dark brown ink.  I continued the overlay process by adding the strip of stamped images to the card.  Next I create two "boards" by cutting two strips of a darker wood patterned paper, edged them in dark brown ink and added them to the card.  To take the card one step further into the masculine realm, I added faux nail heads, small black stickers from Stampendous. 


The "boards" ends were cut using a craft knife and have straight edges but these could have been cut with a deckle patterned scissor or die for a rougher look.  What ever the occasion is, the text can be put on the boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment