Sunday, November 27, 2011

Non traditional colors.

I was challenged to make Christmas cards using what I would consider non traditional holiday colors and these are the ones I came up with.

The first card was the hardest because I have a problem combining shades of "pink" so I decided to make the background a solid pink and go from there. The wreath is made using a hand punch (McGill) of a pine branch punched from plain white paper. I drew a circle in pencil and then filled it in with the punched out images until I got a wreath. The pink bow was pre-made (Martha Stewart/E.K. Success) - thank goodness! The text is a rub-on (K&Company/E.K. Success) and the bling are faux pink gem stickers (Stampendous Dot Sparklers).


The second card uses an old die-cut (Sizzix) and three pieces of grey/green coordinating paper (7 Gypsies). I punched out a tree from two of the papers, cut one of them up and then alternated the cut pieces on the one remaining solid tree. The third paper was used for the background and was mounted on a piece of gold paper (The Paper Company), trimmed and then attached to a white card. The text and flourishes on the tree are rub-ons (Martha Stewart/E.K. Success) and the bling are faux gold gem stickers (Stampendous Dot Sparklers).

The third card is made in shades of blue (with a hint of white) using an electronic die-cut machine (Cricut and the Christmas cartridge) for the house, a circle punch for the foliage and some fancy hand cutting for the tree trunk. I haven't decided on a text for this one yet but whatever it is it will be added in the upper right hand area of the card.


I enjoyed trying to find not only non-traditional colors but seasonal themes that would compliment the colors. Definetly something different for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment