Saturday, October 22, 2011

Neat new background product!

A friend recently introduced me to a new product that creates incredible backgrounds.  It's called "Goosebumps" textured spray and I get it on-line through "Paper Wishes".  What's neat about this product is that depending how much you spray on and what color inks you choose to smear over it, you can create any look from rock, marble or just textured lumps! 

I was given a sample piece of paper (already sprayed) by my friend to see what I could do with it and after some pondering decided on an oriental theme with a stone looking background.  I started by trimming the paper a little smaller than a standard A2 size card.  I then used several colors of pigment ink from grey to green to gold (Tsukineko and Ink It-up!) to create what reminded me of an old piece of rock.  By using pigment inks it allows you to wipe off excess color and blend the colors together ... just make sure you let the finished product dry well before moving on to the next step. I then stamped the peacock image (Impression Obssession) using "Tsukineko Staz-on Olive Green", masked the image and stamped the bamboo branch with leaves (PSX) across the paper using "Tsukineko Staz-on Cactus Green".  Again I let everything dry thoroughly before moving on and coloring the peacock using a "Crayola" bright green marker.  Before the marker ink dried I wiped some of it off to give the image an aged look.  I mounted the finished stamped panel on a piece of dark green paper and then mounted that panel on a green card.  To finish the card I used an epoxy 3D Chinese coin sticker from "Jolee's Boutique/E.K. Success" wrapped with a piece of "Offray" gold edged ribbon.


I don't usually "brag" about a product but this one is versatile and allows you to create some great effects just by the amount you use and the color inks you select.  Plus depending on the pressure you use when applying the colors and how much you wipe off you can really change the look of the background ... I also did one that looked like leather by using browns and golds.  Try it!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent and well explained technique, John!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete